Today I’d like to share these five tips to help keep your home safe while you’re away on vacation.
The holidays are just around the corner, which means you may have a fun family vacation in the works. Here are five tips to keep your home safe while you’re away:
1. Get a Wi-Fi doorbell. If you don’t already have an alarm system installed in your home, you might want to consider this. How does it work? The doorbell is connected to your smartphone, so anytime someone rings the doorbell, you will be able to see who it is and respond accordingly.
2. Add some exterior lighting. If you have areas around your property that are dark, you may want to consider installing new lighting fixtures or just double-check that the bulbs in the existing light fixtures work. To go a step further, you may want to also consider installing a motion sensor light.
3. Let a trusted neighbor know that you’ll be gone. Tell them when you’re leaving and when you’re coming back so they can keep an eye on things.
4. Adjust delivery of your mail and newspapers. If you’re still one of those people that receives a newspaper, you want to make sure those aren’t accumulating atop your driveway. That’s a surefire indicator to any watchful intruder that nobody’s home. Ditto for mail overflowing out of your mailbox or packages piling up on your front steps.
5. Double-check that all doors and windows are locked. According to Safewise.com, 30% of all home invasions happen through an unforced entry. This means almost a full third of every home invasion occurs because someone forgot to lock a window or door. Before you leave, check one last time that everything is locked.
If you have any questions about what’s going on in the market or you’re curious about your home’s value, don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We hope to talk to you soon!